Thursday, January 26, 2012

Webb {3 weeks}

Time sure flies when you're having fun...and you're extremely exhausted!
We've had a few rough days and nights in a row lately.
Which makes for very exhausted parents.
And it can make me have a hard time being able to enjoy those precious moments...
The ones when you have a few extra minutes to just stare at your new baby and all his little features.
The moments when you realize your sassy daughter actually said "ok, mom" and listened instead of made a sassy face ending in a rude remark and then a time out in her room for half the day.
The moments when you finally get your "big" little boy to sleep for nap time.
...well that last one hasn't happened in eons, but I can dream.

3 weeks has gone by and we're surviving.
People kept saying the transition from 1 to 2 kids was the hardest for them.
That transition for me seemed somewhat easy, so I was actually banking on the 2 to 3 transition to be a slight breeze.
Now...I was sadly very wrong.
And I'm lowering my expectations for my days.
Schedules are still in tact for the big kids...the easy ones like keeping breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack times, and bedtimes the same.
What the heck we do in between is a little rough.
I've decided the house really can't be tidy right now.
Instead, I pat myself on the back for getting the laundry done...
with a new little pile which makes me smile every time I add to it.
I really enjoy folding clothes and putting them in neat piles.
It's like shopping without the hassle...and it might just be my last sense of control left!
And who said you actually have to put the dirty dishes away when you empty the dishwasher?
I just like looking at the clean ones put away neatly anyway.
We just start using paper plates when we run out of clean ones.


3 weeks later I don't feel like I have things under control yet.
The big kids are definitely seeing where their new position is and what they can get away with.
That's draining.
The littlest one has learned to sleep with one eye open for fear of being bombarded by a loving snuggle.
That keeps me on my toes at all times.
And all three kids have decided sleeping is optional at night.
Tripp's been going to bed WAY too late and getting up at 5:30.
That makes him just plain awful during the day.


3 weeks later I obviously still have a ways to go with this "smooth" transition.
But it's honestly very reassuring to know it's somewhat normal and this is still exactly where I'm supposed to be.
I am the proud, tired mommy to two crazy, obnoxious, wild kids and one little 3 week old baby that we're still getting to know.
Our fingers are crossed for a calm, collected, non-wild child...where's the fun in that, you say?!
The chances are slightly slim...he's bound to learn quite a lot from his big sis and brother even if it doesn't come naturally!
But even though it's tough and I think I might have had more rough days than good days so far, I wouldn't change being these three little kiddos mommy for anything.
That's good to remember...and keeps those special moments all the more precious.
I just might have to start writing them down though...they seem to be getting a little sparse in my head.

4 comments:

Allen and Debby Graber said...

Love that honesty! It is a drain, isn't it?? Al's dad said that 3 was hard, but after that kid #4, 5 & 6 were easy. (maybe you can try that?)

The Sieberts said...

yes-i agree, honesty is the best because when you figure it out i'll be coming to you for advice;o) two kids was an easy transition for me too..not so sure about this next one though...

flower power momma said...

at 3 weeks you are doing grand.
and truthfully, one of the most challenging things i've done is raise 3 kids. it is hard, but also sweet. prayers being said for sleep for all, and gentleness too.

The Boccias said...

This will totally be me!! Hope things start going better in the sleep department. You are right--even though it's hard, this job just can't be traded for anything! Your kiddos are precious.