I have a little phobia.
I never meant for it to happen, and every winter, I tell myself, they aren't that scary and I'll be better next summer. But I'm not...
I'm still terrified of BEES!
Now, before you start laughing, I do have a slightly good reason for this fear.
It happened when I was about 10 years old. When I was little, I used to be very adventurous and "outdoorsy." One afternoon I was outside turning the corner by our garage, and I saw a HUGE bee flying around. I thought it was pretty interesting, so I just peeked around the corner to see what it was doing. And all of a sudden, out of nowhere, it started attacking me! I screamed and ran around the house, through the garage, and onto the porch where my parents were...with the HUGE bee right behind me the entire time. When I landed on the porch, it started attacking my hair and got caught in it. My dad had to start smacking my head to get the HUGE bee to finally stop attacking me and fly away. After about a minute of running around and having my dad fight it off for me, it went way without a care in the world. But it left me scarred for life-how dare that bee!
I don't have any crazy pictures of me darting, ducking, and running around with my eyes closed all around the yard trying to make sure I safely get away from a bee or wasp. Actually, I tend to duck whenever I see anything flying near me...flies, shadows of birds...you never know when it could be the real thing! I even pray to keep myself calm.
Now that I have children, one that LOVES playing outside, I don't want my little phobia to ruin the entire summer, and I don't want her to be terrified of them either just because of me.
So I had an idea...
Now that I have this new fangled blog thing, I would like to inquire if you have any good ways to keep bees and wasps away for your house! I looked online for ideas, and at this very moment, there is a baggy of water with a penny in it hanging outside our front door. I'm sure the neighbors think it's some odd voodoo thing, but the people online said the bees and wasps think it's a spider web (the water) with a spider in it (the penny). So I'll take my chances with what the neighbors think! I'm a little skeptical though; if I were a bee, I wouldn't be scared of a bag of water! So if any of you have a good idea that works, please tell me! Thanks!

5 comments:
hmmm. i need advice too! we have lots of wasps flying around our swingset and i don't like it!
Sorry, but that is one of the funniest stories I have ever heard. I had a great visual of you getting hit by your father trying to get it out.
Hi Rachel -- I don't have any good advice either. But, I did enjoy reading your story. It is quite humorous. I too have this image of your dad hitting your head to get the bee out of your hair. Good Luck!
I wonder if any of that sticky fly tape would work, but really don't know if that would be strong enough to hold em...sure works on flies :)
Seems that cob webs in the corners would look more like the real thing than a baggie of water. How about getting those plastic spiders at the store?
We have wasp spray - it sprays long distances - that we use and it works great! Don't have to get close to them at all. I have heard that bees are attracted to perfume so don't wear it when you are playing outside with your kids.
My phobia is dogs and I have spray for them too just in case when I go on walks! I've never had to use it yet. I have been attacked by dogs 3 times so it is scary!! They can smell my fear!
Post a Comment