Friday, November 18, 2011

peas in a pod


These two are indescribably inseparable.
Ellie adamantly thinks they're twins...even though I've reminded her dozens of times they aren't. 
The way they act together melts my heart.
And it can also make me so frazzled I don't know if we'll all make it through the day.
The way their moods can change towards each other in a matter of seconds is crazy.
Before Tripp was born, I decided I was not going to be a parent of fighting children.
I don't know why kids fight so much, but I was sure I would have a stern way of approaching it and there would be zero fighting in my household.
Hah! Great idea, right?!
They fight, they snuggle, they fight some more, they wrestle, hurt each other, play together, fight some more...and through it all, you can tell they absolutely adore each other.
And while I'm still learning how to deal with the fighting, I am absolutely so blessed by their love for each other.
I'm probably all extra sappy from hormone overload.
But that always make for a good emotional story.
I remember worrying about little things I would lose out on or miss with just having Ellie before Tripp was born.
They seem so silly now.
And now I find myself wondering and worrying a little bit what the new dynamics will be.
I would hate for their bond to be different.
But I have no clue what it will like, so I'm just treasuring it right now.
So very much.


Ellie is a little mother...even to Tripp.
As she gets older, I'm realizing how much I ask her to help out.
Thankfully she's pretty vocal and I know when I'm probably asking too much of her without even realizing it :)
She's my extra pair of hands when I'm driving...for those sudden times when her dear brother wants to touch the light on the ceiling of the car so bad that he squeezes his arms out of his harness and then gets stuck in a contorted position. She happily helps him get untangled and ends it with a sweet kiss on the cheek and a reminder that seat belts keep you safe and you can't touch the light or the car won't start. {she has been listening!}
And she's my extra tenderhearted surveyor when it comes to anything to do with pain, hurt feelings, being sad, or doctor's offices.
I tend to forget that the nurse checking a heartbeat could be quite an ordeal for a little kid...but Ellie doesn't.
I never want to forget how she reassured Tripp that it really wouldn't hurt him, told the nurse to check her first so he wouldn't be scared, and then, standing side by side, held his hand until it was over.
I was the blubbering mother sitting on the chair all teary-eyed.
Yes, I was pregnant, but I'm pretty sure it was cry worthy no matter what!

Tripper seems so little to me.
So tender that reprimanding him too harshly can lead to a crumpled, crying mess.
So shy that he feels safe hiding behind his big sister when strangers come to comment on how chubby his cheeks are.
He's sneaky and knows just how to rile his big sister.
He's quick to say sorry and quick to forgive.
He's so goofy and is always making Ellie laugh...and the rest of us. 
He looks up to his big sister in everything.
Copies her every move, stands close for security when he's unsure of things, and gives an abundant amount of kisses.
He cried himself to sleep the last time Ellie went to stay with Grammy overnight.
Not just sad little tears...big, big sobs complete with crying out Ellie's name.
They haven't been separated since.


I love their bond.
The stories that probably bore everyone else are the ones I just have to write down or I'm afraid I'll forget them!
And they just can't be forgotten!
So maybe three kids will just mean closer connections...and more fighting.
But no matter what, I am so grateful for their treasured friendship and the love they share.
It just melts a momma's heart!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bond they have will only get better when baby brother arrives. It is another thing they get to share together. It is really great to watch!

Melissa Jensen said...

I love your stories, how you write, how you share your heart! I have ALWAYS thot their was something extra ordinary about you that is why all those years ago I PICKED YOU out of all the other freshmen girls to be my lil' sister! I just adore you!! HUGS!! I cannot even wait to see pics of the newest Beverlin:)

The Sieberts said...

LOVE!

Amy said...

Such a sweet post!

Elaine Entz said...

With each child God gives us, our hearts get bigger... as He is able to love each one of us, we have a small amount of that ability to love those in our care too... the gift of siblings is one of the most special things our children are blessed with. Who wants a perfectly tidy house and absolute quiet from no fighting? lol. Keep up the good work, mama...