We've been saving our pennies over here for little mr. brother.
Did you know they were expensive.
I had my suspicions, but goodness gracious!
I don't know how you're supposed to decorate when you have to spend a billion dollars just to get him home!
So, with saving on the brain, decorating for little brother has proven to be very thought provoking.
I would LOVE to have a nursery to make all his own and spend time thinking and planning it!
I'm not exactly a procrastinator when it comes to planning things.
He may or may not already have clean clothes nicely organized in his closet. :)
You can't be too prepared you know.
Matt just laughs, but I know I can still bend down now and climb on chairs...very important to organizing.
And it makes my heart happy to see it all nicely put away in little sections.
Then I get to spend the next 4 months peeking in and seeing how things look...changing the locations of random things like socks and blankets.
I'm a total dork.
But decorating has got me a little stumped!
First, renting puts a little damper on decorating skills.
There's only so much you want to actually put into something that's not yours.
And second, cinder block walls.
I don't really know if I need to go on.
Cinder block walls?!
How can one decorate when they feel like they have jail cell walls looming about them?!
It's very hard I tell you!
But I am bound and determined to make it look amazing...and transferable so I don't need to totally redecorate whenever we move.
See? That's saving money right there!
So here's what we've been up to so far...
First off, I copied.
I'm pretty awesome at copying!
I really like knowing it's going to work and then putting just a little bit of my own spin on it...sometimes.
This one's from meg's blog.
She's super crafty and fun to copy.
I was planning on having the kids help a lot.
But it's incredibly time consuming and Tripp still eats the paint.
Who wouldn't when they're that colorful!
I ended up letting them paint a page and then kindly dismissed them.
Having a boy and girl in the same room has caused some dilemmas for a color scheme too.
I don't want to be too girly or too boyish.
And I want most things I use to be usable in the future.
Ellie loves purple with a passion.
Her quilt is kind of vintage/colorful with a few splashes of deep purple.
So with her quilt as my guide {and leaving behind my idea for a lovely older looking purple and white room for my little girl} we're going with fun rainbow colors instead.
I hope it works out.
I have material to recover my rocking chair.
I got it on sale...because I rock!
And I used a lot of things around the house, painted them, and now have the splashes of fun color I was going for.
I have some things in Ellie's room that I don't want to change, so I'm hoping they'll just fit in enough to keep.
And pinterest has been my new best friend.
All of my ideas all together.
Who woulda thunk.
There's some really fun "over the rainbow" printables I'm hoping to use...and bunting.
Does bunting just make everything better?
I think it might.
And we're going with butterflies over the rainbow on ellie's side...not so much birds.
Butterflies can go that high too, right?
So here's to hoping my girly girl still feels at home in a girly room, with enough manliness to be acceptable and not embarrass the poor guy.
I have my work cut out for me!
Thursday, September 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











5 comments:
can't wait to see it! i'm sure it will be awesome. and you should totally go with matt and kathy tomorrow. surely you could make that happen! imagine the fun!! heehee :)
bunting DOES make everything better! it sounds like the room will be super cute and wonderful :) and put together with love, that's the coolest thing of all.
oh my goodness gracious, i cannot believe how prepared you are already. I have done pretty much NOTHING! So now can you come do mine??? Your rainbow stuff will be so cute!!
I love the idea of a rainbow room! We had the same dilemma when we moved Gretchen in with Lawson. His room was all boy-ish with tractors. We managed to make it work and I know you will, too! :)
when our oldest 3 were about 6, 4 and 2, they all shared a bedroom. we had one bunk bed and a toddler bed. they have great memories of this time together! i didn't think about decorating & colors, i was just trying to keep them fed and clean... and sometimes i didn't do so well on the latter :) you are doing great rachel! ~elaine
Post a Comment