I've never really been one to have New Year's resolutions.
I guess I've just never really gotten the big fuss of a new year.
Sure it's exciting, but it's really just another day and the next day could be just as ordinary or just as special.
This year, we spent New Year's Eve at my parent's house finishing up making deer jerky and had sparkling grape juice at 8:30 just in case we didn't make it till 12:00.
Thankfully, Matt woke me up at 12:00 to tell me Happy New Year!
And Tripp kept us up until 1:00.
So that's kind of like celebrating...hmmm....
So, with my hugely celebratory ideas of New Year's, I guess it makes sense that I've never been big on resolutions.
Can't I make a resolution on any day?
And it's not like many people really stick to them.
I'd hate to let myself down just to have a silly list of resolutions like everyone else.
But, I was given a special little red book for Christmas in my stocking.
I always go home and spread my gifts all over the floor and stare at them all.
Is that weird?
I thought it was very normal, but apparently not everyone does that.
The back cover of the book says,
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
To Live is Christ...
For anyone who's let everyday life set limits on who they can be. For anyone who'd willingly trade their current set of responsibilities for a new sense of energy and adventure. These could be the ninety days' worth of moments that help relocate your misplaced purpose. When living for Christ is the reason you live, everyday life is the best place and time to experience it.
When I started reading the first two sentences about new responsibilities and new energy and adventure, I was totally hooked and thinking....ummmm...yes!
Then I was a little embarrassed that I obviously fell under the category of someone with a misplaced purpose.
And I realized that, just like earlier when I was feeling so discouraged with Ellie and Tripp, I would gladly take a long hiatus from my normal life.
Who wouldn't?
I've always known that as a Christian, our purpose is to serve Christ.
In everything we do.
I wasn't surprised by that, but I was surprised to realize that my actions aren't matching up to my knowledge of that purpose.
I don't want to go through life just looking out the window waiting for my more exciting, easier chapter and purpose in life to come by.
I don't think having the correct placement of our purpose means we walk on a cloud all day because we're so smitten with our life.
But I do need to have joy.
The joy that comes from intentionally realizing that what I'm doing and where I am everyday is where my purpose is for Christ.
Doesn't that sound fun?
I don't have that joy.
I do sometimes, but it's definitely strung up in my emotions of the moment.
And with two small children, my emotions can be everywhere in a few seconds.
I don't want every time I blow up to feel like I'm failing.
I want to be able to look at the bigger picture of my purpose and have that joy of truly enjoying my everyday life.
So, with that said, I'm going to figure out a little bit more of how to get that.
'Cause I really shouldn't feel the need to have a hiatus from these two as often as I feel like having one.
For the next 90 days, I'm going to read "To Live is Christ Day by Day" by Beth Moore.
That's kind of like a resolution.
But a really good one.
One I can keep and really change from.
I'm excited!
I'll let you know how it goes!
Posted by Rachel at 9:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
amen! make sure you review the book for us!
totally with you, Rachel. I can relate to everything you wrote. written so wonderfully and a challenge for me as well. thanks. love ya.
Post a Comment