Monday, July 13, 2009

Something happy!!!

I am just so excited and happy I had to tell someone about it....
Are you ready?!
My best friend from Pittsburg is having a Baby!!!
Most of you probably don't know her, but that's alright...it's still exciting.

When I first moved to Pittsburg, I prayed that I would meet someone special that I could relate to, someone that was young, had kids...in the same place in life as me.
I was lonely, had a new baby, lived in the country with no car, and needed a social life! As I got more frusterated with where we were, I started looking at new rental houses in town. I found out there was a whole duplex area just for married students!!
My dream come true...PEOPLE!!!
I told Matt what I found, and less than a month later, we were moved, settled in, and I was happy!! At first I just started my new social life by peeking out the window at all the new people who already had their clicks of friends. Then I ventured out to the playground. I met a few moms with older kids. They were nice, but still no one that just clicked....
Then, I got really brave and decided to try out the Library! I didn't even know about story time, but it just happened that I ended up there at the end of one and saw a young girl I recognized from Newton.


"How odd," I thought. What is she doing here? She had a little boy with her, and a cute little girl a few months younger than Ellie. She had gone to the same youth group as me, but I didn't know her very well. I had no idea she was married and here! I wondered what she was doing here. (I guess the idea of being there for college was not on my mind!) I wanted to say hi, but was too nervous. So, of course, she said hi first. I didn't know if she remembered me, so I just told her my name and then asked what hers was. She recognized my last name (thanks to Matt being such a cutie and so popular! Thanks honey!). We started talking and found out we lived a duplex apart in the same housing units! I was so excited! I tried to stay calm though...no need to get too excited and then be disappointed. We talked about Newton and the people we both new and then she invited me back to story time.
At home, I waited to see if she would go to the park, but after about a week, I got brave and knocked on her door. No answer. Oh no! I panicked! She must have seen it was me and didn't want to answer! Ahh...Run away!!!
After about an hour, I walked back, heart pounding, and knocked again.
She answered!
I smiled, but had no idea what to say.
So she said, "Did you want to go to the park?" And I said "Uh-hmmm!"
And that's what started my friendship with Bree.
One of my closest friends, someone to count on, cry with, laugh with, disagree with, eat shaved ice with, shop with, watch each other's kids, and just relate to.
She was my answer to that oh-so-long-ago prayer! My best friend from Pittsburg!
We loved talking together. Some nights, we would put the kids to bed, then talk for hours while our husbands were working. What good memories!

And now Bree is pregnant!!
I wish I was there. I wish I could see you get all huge and help you out with the kids. I wish I could sneak you chocolate even though you will try to be healthy! Go Yoga!! I wish I could run over with lasagna when the last thing you want to do is cook. Do you like lasagna?!
I hope I can visit, and meet your new little one (who, if it's a girl, could have the lovely middle name Rachel, right?!)
We are so excited for you Bree and Drew (and Owen and Kate)!
Thanks for being such a wonderful friend. Love you!

1 comments:

Allen and Debby Graber said...

Guess what Rachel. You can now update your profile! We are glad you are back, but know that college friends are ones to cherish.