Tuesday, May 22, 2012

calling all dog lovers!

I'm having a conundrum.
A big one.
I can't find a dog.
I can't stop searching for one.
Which is why I'm up at 11:45.
Searching the web for puppies.
We had a grand idea.
The perfect picture of happy country life.
And that picture included a cute little puppy to love on, protect us, and be a part of the family.
One problem...
We can't find one!
Unless we want a teeny tiny toy poodle kind of puppy that could fit in our pocket.
The world seems to be full of those.
Not ideal for county life.
I think it could possibly be eaten by our chickens.
It could be an appetizer for the abundant coyotes running around howling at night,
or the scary mountain lions I found out live nearby.
Thanks Billy...way to scare your new neighbors!
So, we've been searching for a LONG time for the best breed for our family.
Our criteria:
Protector {so I don't pee my pants every time I walk outside after sunset}
Good with kids {because we have kids}
Large {we like them big!}
Short hair {we don't like big fur balls everywhere}
Plus a few other wants, but not necessarily needs.

So our list:

 Meet the Cane Corso.
Pros: exactly what we're looking for personality-wise.
Cons: Possibly one of the least attractive dogs I've seen. 
 Meet the Rottweiler.
 Pros: My personal favorite for personality and looks.
Cons: Almost everyone who's asked what breed we're thinking of getting has said they won't come to our house if we end up buying a rottweiler...but I'm sure they'd change their mind once they met ours :)

 Meet the Viszla.
Pros: Protector, and not aggressive.
Cons: A little on the wild side and needs tons of attention.

Meet the Weimeraner.
Pros: My parent's have one, so we're very used to the breed.
Cons: They prefer to live inside. They are CRAZY! But still protective and good with kids.


So there's the list so far. 
You'd think they would have one of these dogs for sale in Kansas.
But no.
Unless you're willing to shell out over $1,000 in most cases. 
Which is about the same amount we paid for our little human baby.
{give or take a thousand}
But he's human, so we'll let it slide. 
Which by the way, brings me to another point. 
Did you know, for most transactions, you are required to fill out an EXTENSIVE application to be considered to buy a puppy?
Considered means it's the first step. 
NOT a guarantee. 
And in most cases, is complete with home visits.
I'm fine with making sure dogs are being sold to reputable people who will treat them well.
But a minimum of 5 pages with questions from the type of house we live in, if we rent or own, complete with exit strategies for emergencies, to what we are planning on doing with the dog if heaven forbid we leave for a few hours, is a little much.
I still filled it out. 
But I felt a little odd answering over 50 questions about my future life with my puppy.
We'll love it. It'll love us. It'll learn the rules. End of conversation.
That's not enough I guess. 
No one asked me anything when I had my three babies.
My real human babies, who, in actuality should mean a little bit more than a puppy.
What type of person are you, do you have an exit strategy, Do you have a house, Have you thought of a discipline style? 
Those seem like great questions for someone to ask to make sure you know what you're doing before you have a human being!!
But I think I'm getting off subject. 
Or maybe I should go to bed.
So I can be happy and sweet when those three little munchkins wake up at six crazy o'clock.
But anyways...what do you think?
Have any suggestions, or where to buy a puppy?
'Cause I'm at my wits end. 
And I think I may possibly be shot if I bring up puppies one more time in a conversation. 
And please don't worry...we will love our dog and treat her very well.
I'm just being a dork, and can't quite wrap my head around the application process.
Craziness.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get a Weimeraner! We had one for years in our KS country home. She was the best dog and wonderful with our boys. And she was a barker whenever someone pulled up to our house. How about a Lab or German Shorthair? (plus my hubby is a hunter and they are great with that) Both great dogs. Dogs are a great addition to any home! Happy hunting!

The Mahoney's said...

Our family has a boxer. That wasn't on your list but I think he matches a lot of your requirements. He is SO great with our children, large, short hair, strong and brave and could easily protect us. We love him. Good luck!

Aaron and Shannon said...

I had a Weimeraner growing up! I LOVED her! She was a great dog, perfect for our house! Go for that one!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I have never had a boxer, but a coworker and his family have had several over the years and just loved them. Have you considered adopting rather than purchasing? There are many breed specific rescue organizations who have great dogs that need good homes. (And yes, you will still have to fill out the huge application!)

Sarah said...

We don't have any of those dogs(we have a blue heeler which is great with cattle which is why we have it and it is great with our kids),but I have friends who have Rottweillers and they are awesome with the kids. They let the kids crawl all over them. I think maybe the key with them is to get them as a puppy and let them grow up with your kids. As with any dog, I think it depends on how they are raised and the type of temperment they will develop. Good luck!

Sarah @ This Farm Family's Life

Melissa Jensen said...

Hey you...we have a toy poodle and he is fine out in the country life, that is really all he has known, but I am just joking, I know a toy poodle is not what you are looking for, so that is why we got our German shepherd about 6 years ago. There are so many stereotypes against them but our G. Shepherd is the best ever!! Not just saying that. She is VERY protective of the kids. Like if we are on a walk and we leave lagging Landrey a bit too far behind than Payton, our dogs, "safe" for her, even though she is not too far behind, she will lag behind and stay with her. She is very obedient and we really had no "training" with her. Just the normal sit, shake:) When people come to our home, they are fearful of her (like the UPS man) which is good, so they don't or anyone else break in and rob us --ha ha but she is such a sissy that she would not hurt anyone, she just barks this deep bark if she is alarmed which is PERFECT for us, that is their nature. I could go on and on about G.Shepherd but I will stop. I really did not want one, Kreg wanted her, but now I am so in love with her that I call her MY dog!! Oh, I totally hear you with the dog application process, it was like, they don't even do this for people to have kids and they really should with some parents-ha ha!! We tried to get a puppy in K.C when we lived there and they told us that we could not take her that far away b/c they needed to do home visits. Sheesh! Good luck!! I know when you want a dog, it takes over your heart!! Have you tried the Newton Human society. If you don't mind a mix those puppies are always so cute. We adopted four dogs total over the years for Kreg family farm and LOVED all of them and had no issues with them. If you are interested in a g. shepherd puppy we are looking into breeding payton this fall and you could get one of those, we would bring it down and since I like you so much I would not charge you or do home visits:) Hee hee Alright I am done now--go on with your busy life after reading this book:)

Wallace, family of 5 said...

We have an American Bulldog, she is an awesome dog and meets all of the criteria on your list. She is amazinig with our 3 little girls (ages 4,3,& 1 1/2). she lets them pull, poke, ride, pretty much do whatever they want :) and is also a great protector. she is BIG too...she weighs about 110 pounds right now and she just turned 1 year old. and a bonus...she is a beautiful dog! solid white, with a black and pink nose and black rimmed eyes! you should check out American Bulldogs...they are great family dogs :))) we love ours dearly!

Anonymous said...

I think trying the humane society would be good unless you REALLY want a pedigree dog. They often turn out really great and you are giving an unwanted puppy a good loving home just a thought :) I would vote for a Lab I know the Bev labs were pretty wild and I guess they shed even tho they are short hair, but the ones I've known are sooo loving and protective etc.
My book is done!
hugs Sharley

Leslie Veer said...

HI Rachel! Your blog makes me smile. :) See?
I volunteer at the humane society in Newton, and this time of year they often have really nice lab puppies, which by personality and temperament would fit your criteria. Just a thought!

Anonymous said...

I would also suggest considering addoption from an animal welfare society. We got a great, loving dog that way. She is Scotch Collie Mix. Just take time, talk to the people running the shelter and discuss the character of a dog you are searching for.

P.s.: I do understand why all the fuss about adoption of a dog into a family. There are thousands and thousands dogs killed in the shelters every year across the USA. Dogs that came to the families who later abandoned them.

Anonymous said...

"Scottish Collies are known to be generally sweet and protective. They are generally easy to train due to a high level of intelligence and a willingness to please. Some are a bit clingy, but this is often seen as an overdeveloped sense of loyalty. They are excellent herding dogs and benefit from the companionship of a family or other dogs. Scottish Collies are very playful and gentle around children. They can also exhibit a strong herding instinct, especially around children." (Wikipedia)