Tuesday, November 9, 2010

a new grip

I have been having a very hard time with Ellie and Tripp.
They are like two little tornadoes.
The house never stays clean for more than a few minutes.
Tripp is like a totally different boy.
He's loud, he hurts Ellie, he climbs on everything.
He's a handful.
Ellie never stops talking.
Ever.
I feel guilty for feeling that way.
They are supposed to be the joys of my life.
I'm supposed to be enjoying every minute of being with them, because it goes so fast.
I'm supposed to smile and laugh when they take their diaper off at night and smear poop everywhere.
Those are the crazy moments you look back on 10 years later and laugh about.
But most of the time, I just feel exhausted and can't seem to see the joy in their behavior
or our day to day interactions.
I'm sure my mom has definitely heard more than enough of all my complaints.
And she usually kindly reminds me of a few enjoyable things about the children that I usually choose not to focus on in the moment.
I don't like having to be reminded that my kids are joys and not terrors.
I want to be able to remind myself that without having to complain 500 times to someone else to hear them say "it's normal" and make me feel better.

My mom sent me this verse one day:

So take a new grip with your tired hands, stand firm on your shaky legs, and mark out a straight, smooth path for your feet so that those who follow you, though weak and lame, will not fall and hurt themselves, but become strong. Hebrews 12:12-13


This was the verse my grandma Ellie wrote in her testimony many years ago. She had 6 children: 16, 15, 14, 12, 8, and 1. She was tired, stressed, and overwhelmed. She said in her testimony, "In bed at night, I'd review the day. I would think, 'why did I say that? what should I do about this?' Then I would fret and worry until a scripture came to mind. One that was especially meaningful was Hebrew 12:12-13. There was my answer. Get a new grip, stand firm, and mark my way, because those children are following me."

She began to pray scripture for her children and asked God to show her scriptures to pray for whatever was going on in their lives-anxiety, disappointment, anger. She prayed for their Christian walk, their future spouse. She had a notebook with a section for each child. She would write down the verses and date she started praying for them, and then the date when she realized it had been answered.

My mom gave me that verse quite awhile ago.
I had forgotten about it.
Sometimes it seems easier to just pout about a situation.
But I'm realizing that's not helpful for Ellie or Tripp, or even Matt.
It makes me stressed out and no one in the house is having a very enjoyable time.
So...
I am determined to see more of the joys in our daily activities.
I am determined to stop complaining so much about how hard they are.
I am determined to get a "new grip, stand firm, and mark my way" so Ellie and Tripp can follow and learn from a Godly example.

I think I might even keep a little notebook and write down different things I notice that are joys, answers to prayer...reminders of why I am doing what I'm doing!
It'll be fun to look back and remember those special moments and hard trials that I went to God for help, instead of pouted my way through it without really fixing it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi I am a blog "stalker" from the Macs...but I tell you this post hit me personally..I feel this way about my 2 year old..have an older daughter (21 years) but things are so much harder with my son..I feel so frustrated and tired at the end of the day AND the first thing in the morning. I am striving to find the joy and the enjoyment of my son...so thank you for making me not feel so alone in this ;)

Kim
kyork2@yahoo.com

Julie said...

Thanks for sharing this so honestly Rachel. I think our little boys are at a rather difficult stage (but I'm sure all stages are hard?). I mean, take today for example. We are leaving the doctor's office and Ori is WAILING and screaming because he doesn't want to leave the toys behind. It's embarrassing. At home, he poked Calla's eye because she was playing with a toy he wanted. Seriously?! All that to say, I can relate (except to the constant talking--Ori could do more of that! ha!). I really appreciated the verse your mom shared and hearing how your grandma prayed for her children. Praying Scripture is really powerful. I actually just recently made prayer cards for my little family with requests and verses to go along. I love having that to pray through. Thanks again for sharing your heart!

Julie said...

I also wanted to thank you for sharing your heart with us. It was so helpful for me to read. I don't have the issues yet that you are dealing with, but I tend to crave for Kesler to be at the next stage because then it will be so much 'easier' :). It may be in some ways, but mostly it will be different with a whole new set of concerns and struggles. I am encouraged by your post to find the joy in Kesler just as he is now. And, I had to smile when you said your mom has probably heard enough of your struggles... because I just talked to my mom and had the same thought go through my head. Moms are great, though!

Julie said...

Rachel,
The prayer cards I made are just in a little spiral index card book. I write down the family member's name at the top and then have a bulleted list of things to pray for with the verse written out beside it. I asked Ian specifically what he wanted prayer for and then found corresponding Scripture, and for Ori I chose a character quality (patience) to pray for that I see lacking in his little life and that he would love Jesus with all of his heart. I haven't made Calla's yet. For her, it would be to keep her joyful spirit always and for her health issues. I definitely want to add to the character quality list for my children as time progresses. I don't know if that helps. It is very simple, but helpful to me. Thanks for asking!

Amy said...

Oh, Rachel... you are not alone. I struggle with this same issue. So much. It is so easy for me to focus on the negative aspects of my kid's hearts and personalities. Sophie, in particular. I think a lot of that is b/c I am the main one that she chooses to share that attitude with. It can be so frustrating. I love Julie's idea of the notebook with specific things to pray for. I was realizing the other day that I am so frustrated with these behaviors, but yet I don't specifically pray for those things to change. I need to be more intentional with praying for them. Thanks for the reminder. And hang in there. :)