Freezing corn is quite an undertaking.
My sister-in-law, Jess, and her in-law's have done it forever, and it is always SO yummy.
Especially when you can just go to the freezer when it's snowing out and have a little fresh summer goodness!
Jess and Joel had so much corn this year, they even shared some with me!
Thank you!
Ellie loved being a helper and finding all the different stalks of corn.
Since this was our first corn freezing experience, it took us a while to get organized and figure out what we were doing.
And I was just a bundle of help taking pictures of everything.
I did stop after a while and help...I promise.
So, first off...
Meet Scraggles

She's our sweet little kitty that we don't really want at our own house, but enjoy pretending is ours.
Something like that.
It really likes us and comes running when we visit.
And...

You can't go to my parent's house without noticing their ginormous love for plant life.
Both my parent's have transformed the yard with so many beautiful trees and garden areas.
This isn't really the most pretty flower of them all, but it was closest, and there weren't any bees nearby, so I seized the moment.

Alright, now for the corn.
There was TONS of it!
It took forever.
And corn is incredibly sticky.
It wasn't too bad, just very time consuming.

See...that's me.
I told you I helped.

Tripp hadn't really ever experienced corn before.
Besides eating it out of a can.
Which doesn't count.
The whole process was quite intriguing to him.

Dad ended up helping with the kids towards the end.
They weren't as helpful as they thought they were.

After it was all clean,
we boiled it for a few minutes, put it in cold water, and then cut it off the cob.
That was stickiest part.

It definitely helped to have an electric knife!
It kind of felt like cheating though.
Like Laura Ingalls on steroids.
But I'm sure she would have used one if they had them back then.
We bagged about 4 cups in each bag.
We decided to just season it as we got the bags out to eat.

So there you have it!
Freezer corn.
Scrumptious!
We've already eaten 3 bags of it.
It's so yummy!
And I'm slightly proud of my old-fashioned canning and freezing.

2 comments:
way to be! i remember doing that growing up and yes-IT WAS ALOT OF WORK! i think i might enjoy it more now...
I used to do that when we grew corn. It is soooo yummy!
Post a Comment