Thursday, July 1, 2010

Hiking and hummingbirds


This past weekend we went on our small group trip.
You already know we totaled a van, but we also managed to do a few other things while we were in Colorado!
I have TONS of pictures! Everywhere you look, it's just breathtaking and you have the urge to take a picture.
Every time I saw a flower or another mountain, I would say to Matt,
"Wow! That's a pretty picture!" Instead of "wow! that's a pretty flower!"
I would have loved to take a picture of absolutely everything I saw.
So, to make sure this isn't the longest post in the history of posts,
I have to break it up a bit.
So here's the first installment...
Enjoy!


We stayed in our grandparent's cabin in Granby.
It was perfect, and we loved all the space and beautiful views.

Matt and I actually went to the cabin for our honeymoon...4 years ago.
It was fun to be back again!

On the first full day, we went hiking near Granby lake.
It was amazing!

Towards the end of our hike, part of the group decided to go back, but some of us wanted to see the end and the huge waterfalls they said were there.
I didn't want to give up, so I decided to go...even though I felt like jello!
The waterfalls were so amazing!
They sounded so loud.
They misted you when you stood close, and it smelled like a big bottled water.
Almost too pure to breath in deeply.
And none of the pictures did it justice.

In some ways, it felt like how we view God.
His majesty is all around us.
And we were in awe of his beautiful design,
but no picture did it absolute justice.
It made me realize how much more majestic our God is than our human eyes could ever comprehend.

The hike back was much easier.
Matt found a weirdo tree that looked like a seat!
And we stopped by a little lake to get our hands and feet wet.
It was so cold you could barely put your toes in.
It made your whole body tingle.
I was proud of myself when I finally got up enough courage to put my whole foot in.
My husband is crazy and decided he wanted to walk in it.
The deepest part went to his knees...that had to hurt!
Matt and Bill walked across and then sat on the little shore and pondered life for a while.
We wanted to go back, so we left them there.
The water was so cold, we told them we probably wouldn't save them if they fell over anyways.

After our hike, we were planning on going up trail ridge road and going in to Estes park for shopping and yummy food.
We just wanted to stop at the cabin to get some flip-flops and freshen up a bit.
Instead...
This happened.
So we talked to insurance people the rest of the night.
Got some pizza.
And watched the hummingbirds with ice packs on our necks.
(not my neck actually. we were in the van in front of the Kirtley's. Shannon, Amanda, and Kendall were all in the back seat and got the most impact. We were so grateful that no one was seriously hurt. Besides the van, it was quite a blessing.)

Oh...and mostly everyone liked the hike...except maybe one person.
When we got back to the cabin, Dave announced he would rather get in another car wreck than go on another hike.
Sorry, Dave!

3 comments:

Allen and Debby Graber said...

So true, Rachel about God's majesty. Someday when we see Him face to face, we will fall flat on our faces - His awe will just be so great! Some days as I think about all He does and creates, from the petal of a flower, conception of a child, outer space, on and on, I just get blown away. Creation tells the glory of God!

Joel Smith said...

Love your post! And you did get some really good waterfall pics!!! Nice work. And I'm glad you posted Dave's comment. :-)

Kendall

Momma H said...

Your pictures are really gorgeous, Rachel. Some you could frame and hang on the wall!