Friday, April 13, 2012

paint colors

This week, I've been running back and forth from our old house to our new house.
I'd love to be able to say we've accomplished SO much, but mostly I've just stared at it longingly.
Wishing I could start on something.
It could be move in ready.
But it's a tad bit outdated and "used" looking.
So we want to do a little work on it before we move instead of live in the mess with 3 kiddos.
I think the carpet may have housed a million animals over the past few years.
It makes you want to bolt out the door the minute you walk in.
Stinky, stinky!
BUT, we found pretty hardwood floors underneath all the nastiness.
What a lovely surprise!
We'd like to redo the main bathroom too.
So, even with all my extensively awesome skills, I have to wait on my hubby to start things.
We're both so excited to be there, but he's also incredibly busy.
With things I can't exactly help him with...like fancy banisters and huge desks.
But even so, I've found quite a few excuses to go and stare at the house.
Walk around, holding my nose, envisioning how beautiful we can make it, and how it's our very own.
And I've taped up way too many paint swatches and samples to figure out what my most favorite color of gray could possibly be.
Did you know the perfect gray could be so hard to find?
I thought I was being so smart...going with my favorite color AND a great neutral.
How could I go wrong?
Easy peasy, right?
Wrong.
I don't like blue undertone, I don't like green undertone, purple, pink, or red.
I don't like yellow undertone, so most beige was out too.
I think I had at least 17 different colors taped to the wall trying to narrow them down to my few favorites to get actual paint samples from.
Holy bajeebers!
Why in the world don't they make a light true gray color with a GRAY undertone?
I feel like it really shouldn't be this hard.
But I finally found exactly what I was thinking in my head...hopefully.
I gave in and went a "greige" route.
It made it feel more warm and inviting anyways.
Too much blue in those "gray, grays" made it feel too cold.
I hope you were really in the mood for a painting lesson on the color gray :)


These were my 5 favorites.
All gray, but all so very different once on the wall it left me puzzled and angry.
I ended up getting Revere Pewter at 50% intensity (is that how you say it?) from Benjamin Moore.
It's loverly :)
And now I'm officially done with everything I could possibly do without Matt.
Oh dear husband....it's your turn!
His projects are little bit bigger though, so I'll give him a break :)

3 comments:

The Sieberts said...

can't wait for a bloggy tour!

Natalie said...

LOVE grays :) Congrats on the new house, it is so much fun to paint and decorate a new space!!

Lori said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel with the gray! I want to do a gray in our bedroom and haven't found the perfect gray! It is frustrating! So glad you found the perfect color for you! I'm still on the hunt! =)