Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Papa Book


Tripp has always been a very easy little boy to put to bed.
Just plop him down, and he's good to go.
I keep waiting for the day when he realizes he can actually climb out of his crib.
Why can a boy that regularly climbs on top of the washing machine and counter tops not even try to climb out of his crib?
Beats me, but I am a fan...and crossing my fingers that it stays like that a LONG time.

Tripper's latest night time routine includes his Papa Book.
Uncle Joel and Auntie Jess gave it to him when he was born.
It's all about John Deere tractors.
I used to read it to Ellie when she was little and she loved the page all about tractors and hay.
There's one tractor with a man inside bailing hay, and she used to stare at it forever saying "that's Joel."

Now that Tripper's enjoying books more, this is his favorite.
He's decided the tractor man is Papa.
He LOVES the Papa page.
I don't think he even knows there's other pages.
When I try to read the rest of the book to him, he starts repeating in a high whimper..."Papa, Papa, Papa..."

I love that he has a special book.
And it is so fun to see him love being with my dad so much!
He's definitely a favorite!
I don't think I even rank when Papa's around.
Whenever we see him, Tripp runs, with his head down, straight to Papa's legs and wraps himself around them and just stays there until he gets picked up.
I think that's how quiet children show affection.
Ellie walks right into the house yelling "Mema, Papa, anybody home?"

So, his new bedtime routine?
Snuggle, pray, kiss and hug, and then surround him with...
His very special polka-dot blankie from Aunt Lori,
A special kitty he traded with Ellie for (affectionately called baby)
And his very important Papa Book.
Whisper I love you many times.
Close the door.
Good night.

Peek in and fight the urge to snuggle him all over again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't he too old and big to still be in a crib.

Anonymous said...

Anonmymous--Kids are safe in their cribs as long as they are not climbing out. Why fix something that isn't broken!!??? Asking him to transition unnecessarily just stirs up all kinds of new dilemmas. He looks adorable and just perfect in there!

Anonymous said...

I know I'm just Anonymous too, but what is it with all these "Anonymouses" feeling the need to criticize people's parenting? Seriously. Your kids are well-loved, happy, and safe -- that means you are parenting perfectly!

Rachel said...

Holy cow all you anonymous people talking to each other on my blog. I hope you got your crib conundrums figured out. Tripper is absolutely fine and safe in his crib. Which is why he's still in there. Peace.

Kris Reed said...

Rachel,

Those pictures are too precious! There is nothing like a special "Papa" and grandson relationship. Glad he is feeling better and praise the Lord that he was able to go home today.