A Godly Woman
She blessed us all with her life, love, loyalty and laughter.
On Saturday, August 22, Grandma developed throat pain so intense that she was unable to swallow, and could not eat or drink. Several inconclusive tests were done, and by Wednesday, she returned home, where she had been asking to go since entering the hospital. She told the doctors she was older than any of them and knew it was her time to go, and she just wanted to go home!
The family took turns staying with her and Grandpa. I was able to go and be with Grandma on Wednesday, September 2. She slept the entire time and was having such a hard time breathing. It was hard, but also a sweet time together. Grandpa would just sit by her bed and whisper in her ear and talk for hours to her. He had told her earlier that she was on her "flight home." She had looked at him and said "I wish we could get on the same flight." What love they had for each other, and what a priviledge to see it, especially in those last days.
Wednesday night, Grandma went to be with Jesus.
On the last day she was able to talk to us, my Aunt Frances was sitting with her. Grandma was in so much pain. She reached out and held Frances's face and said, "Don't cry for my pain, it's just part of the process."
The funeral was on Tuesday. It was hard. But it was such a good funeral. I wish I could have known her better. She was hilarious and always playing tricks on the kids and Grandpa...like putting slivers of soap in brownies, and sewing up Grandpa's boxers for his first day in court! She had such a witty sense of humor until the very end. She was real. She loved people deeply with no motive in return. She loved Jesus so much and showed other's by example how to be a good wife and mother (and grandma), and how to have a personal relationship with Him.
We named our Ellie after my grandma. I have always loved the name Ellie and thought it was special that we could also honor my grandma by using the name. Little did I know just how great
of a person I was naming my daughter after. What a legacy! My mom is so much like Grandma. I pray that someday there may be glimpses of them in my life as well. And I pray that my Ellie will know just how special her great-grandma was. Just how much she loved Jesus and how she had a way of making everyone around her feel important because of how she treated them.
"Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also..." Proverbs 31:28

5 comments:
Oh Rachel -- what a sweet tribute to your grandma. Though I didn't know her, she sounds like such a wonderful lady. And, it's very special that your daughter is named after her. I have tears in my eyes reading that. Thanks for the post.
I have been thinking and praying for all you guys since I heard. Bless all of you and your hearts as you go through this time.
It was fun to read about your Gma and what she meant to you!! Grandparents are awesome and touch our lives so greatly!!
I will be praying for you guys!
What a beautiful tribute to your Grandma Ellie! She sounds like a very special lady - and now I know where your mom AND you get it. You and Sarah are some of my favorite people, even though I don't know you all that well!!
The funeral was such a blessing! What a glory to our Father! Of course, it was a very special thing to hear Linda sing the song she and my mother-in-law arranged together. I love your family much!!!!
What a sweet picture of marriage. That made me teary eyed. I lost two grandparents this year. It's hard, but they are "home". Sorry for your loss.
Post a Comment